New Joins

Unit HomeResourcesInbound/NewcomersPets
3d Marine Division


3d Marine Division

The Fighting Third

Okinawa, Japan

[Last Review: 28 JUNE 2020]

Traveling with Pets can be stressful for both you and your Pet. Below you will find some information to assist you in getting prepared.  There a number of ways to get your pet to Japan safely, many use military and commercial flights other use a licensed pet transportation service. Which ever method you decide to use there will still be steps that need to be taken to ensure that your pet is able to complete the quarantine process.

Air Mobility Command and most commercial airlines compute how much you pay in pet travel fees based on your pet’s weight plus the weight of its kennel. Once you receive orders to Okinawa, contact your Traffic Management Office right away. At that time TMO will need to know your pet’s weight as well as the kennel’s weight and dimensions.

Dogs and cats entering Japan are required to have current rabies vaccination and health certificates. (Dogs should also be vaccinated for kennel cough.) Preferably, certificates should be issued by a military veterinarian using DD FORM 2208 for the rabies vaccination and DD FORM 2209 for the health certificate. Rabies date must be put on the health certificate.

Pets are required to have the rabies vaccination no less than 30 days but not more than 365 days prior to entry. Health certificates must be issued no more than 10 days prior to entry. Copies of these certificates, along with PCS orders, must accompany pets and should be affixed to the outside of the shipping cage.

Both military and commercial airlines may have restriction for traveling pets during the cold and summer months. You should verify this with TMO or your commercial airliner.

Pet Guidance & Information

[Last Review: 28 JUNE 2020]